Back to Index
This article participates on the following special index pages:
Violence, recrimination and arrests after policeman's death in Glen View - Index of articles
Journalists barred from covering Glenview murder trial
February 12, 2013
were on 11 February 2013 barred from covering the trial
of 31 MDC-t activists accused of murdering a police officer,
Petros Mutedza, in May 2011, which resumed yesterday at the Harare
Superintendent Charles Ngirishi is reported to have ordered out
the journalists that were in attendance, alleging that he was acting
on instructions from the Attorney General's Office, and that
the proceedings were to be held in camera.
by journalists if there was a court order barring the covering of
the story, Ngirishi said, "I have an instruction from the
AG's office and this case is not being covered by any journalist.
That's an order."
General's representative, Edmore Nyazamba, also confirmed
the arrangement. "The proceedings are in camera and you cannot
be allowed to cover the story," he said.
was held in November last year with Justice Chinembiri Bhunu granting
bail to 21 activists while denying Last Maengahama, Tungamirai Madzokere,
Rebecca Mafukeni, Yvonne Musarurwa and Simon Mapanzure bail, considering
them as unsuitable candidates.
Bhunu also granted an application by the State to allow a 'vulnerable
witness', Ednah Chihota, to give evidence "in camera".
had turned out in large numbers yesterday for the trial at the Magistrates'
Court since the High Court does not have Victim Friendly Court facilities.
The trial continues on 12 February 2013.
the MISA-Zimbabwe fact
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.