THE NGO NETWORK ALLIANCE PROJECT - an online community for Zimbabwean activists  
 View archive by sector
 
 
    HOME THE PROJECT DIRECTORYJOINARCHIVESEARCH E:ACTIVISMBLOGSMSFREEDOM FONELINKS CONTACT US
 

 


Back to Index

This article participates on the following special index pages:

  • Inclusive government - Index of articles
  • New Constitution-making process - Index of articles


  • Weekly Media Update 2010-20
    The Media Monitoring Project Zimbabwe
    Monday May 24th 2010 - Sunday May 30th 2010
    June 04, 2010

    Download this document
    - Acrobat PDF version (284KB)
    If you do not have the free Acrobat reader on your computer, download it from the Adobe website by clicking here.

    The weeks top stories

    Conspiracy theories targeting Zimbabwe's perceived Western detractors intensified in the government media this week in the wake of a visit by the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme monitor Abbey Chikane and renewed international criticism of President Mugabe.

    The Brazil/Zimbabwe soccer match was, however, the most prominent story in the state-run media (See Fig. 1). Although the government-controlled media paid attention to the activities of the country's main political parties, ZANU PF got 79 percent of the coverage, a violation of the "equitable coverage" clause in the Global Political Agreement (GPA). The remaining 21 percent were shared by the two MDC formations. The private media widely reported endless political disputes in the inclusive government, and they also kept an eye on persistent human rights violations.

    Media Power
    sharing
    Chiadzwa
    diamonds
    Brazil/Zim
    soccer match
    Party
    politics
    Human
    rights
    State-run
    media
    25 39 59 34 2
    Private
    media
    52 22 5 8 32
    Total 77 61 64 42 34

    Download full document

    Visit the MMPZ fact sheet

    Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.

    TOP