Back to Index
Town and Country Planning Act (Chapter 29:12)
48/1976 (s. 82), 22/1977 (s. 38), 3/1979 (ss. 143-157), 39/1979 (s. 19),
8/1980 (s. 12), 29/1981 (s. 59), 48/1981 (s. 13), 9/1982 (ss. 2-16), 20/1982
(s. 19), 21/1985 (s. 45), 8/1988 (s. 164), 3/1992 (s. 52), 14/1998.
November 01, 1976
97 version (269KB)
PDF version (311KB)
If you do not have the free Acrobat reader on your
computer, download it from the Adobe website by clicking
AN ACT to provide
for the planning of regions, districts and local areas with the object
of conserving and improving the physical environment and in particular
promoting health, safety, order, amenity, convenience and general welfare,
as well as efficiency and economy in the process of development and the
improvement of communications; to authorize the making of regional plans,
master plans and local plans, whether urban or rural; to provide for the
protection of urban and rural amenities and the preservation of buildings
and trees and generally to regulate the appearance of the townscape and
landscape; to provide for the acquisition of land; to provide for the
control over development, including use, of land and buildings; to regulate
the subdivision and the consolidation of pieces of land; and to provide
for matters incidental to or connected with the foregoing.
[Date of commencement: 1st November, 1976.]
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
3. Application of Act.
4. Housing courts.
6. Housing courts to be courts of record.
7. Proceedings to be in public.
10. Summoning of witnesses and privileges thereof.
11. Witnesses failing to attend or refusing to be sworn or to give evidence.
12. Witness giving false evidence.
13. Contempt of housing court.
15. Appeal from decision of housing court.
REPAIR, DEMOLITION AND CLOSURE ORDERS
16. Authority may apply for repair, demolition or closure order.
17. Issue of summons.
18. Contents of summons.
19. Service of summons.
20. Delivery of grounds of opposition.
21. Inquiry to be held into application.
22. Making of order.
23. When building deemed to be of unsatisfactory standard.
24. Contents of repair order.
25. Contents of demolition order.
26. Contents of closure order.
27. Criteria in making of order.
28. Order binding on successors in title.
29. Effect of order stipulating vacation.
30. Persons on whom copy of order shall be served.
31. Certificate of compliance with order.
32. Variation, revocation or replacement of order.
33. Failure to comply with order an offence.
34. Authority may carry out order and recover cost thereof.
35. Rent not payable where building vacated.
ABATEMENT OF OVERCROWDING
36. Authority may apply for abatement order.
37. Issue of abatement summons.
38. Contents of abatement summons.
39. Service of abatement summons.
40. Delivery of grounds of opposition.
41. Inquiry to be held into application.
42. Making of abatement order.
43. When dwelling deemed to be overcrowded.
44. Persons on whom copy of abatement order shall be served.
45. Contents of abatement order.
46. Abatement order binding on successors in title.
47. Names of persons required to vacate dwelling to be listed.
48. Variation or revocation of abatement order.
49. Failure to comply with abatement order an offence.
50. Rent not payable where dwelling vacated.
CONTROL OF HARMFUL USE OR OCCUPATION OF PREMISES AND UNDUE INTERFERENCE
51. Application of this Part.
52. Application for control order.
53. Issue of control summons.
54. Delivery of grounds of opposition.
55. Inquiry to be held into application.
56. Making of control order.
57. Factors determining making of control order.
58. Factors determining measures to be taken under control order.
59. Persons on whom copy of control order shall be served.
60. Control order binding on successors in title.
61. Names of persons required to vacate premises to be listed.
62. Variation or revocation of control order.
63. Failure to comply with control order an offence.
64. Rent not payable where premises vacated.
65. Order for costs in respect of proceedings in terms of this Part.
66. Authority may apply for appointment of board of investigation.
67. Appointment and functions of board.
68. Composition and remuneration of board.
69. Procedure of board.
70. Statement given to board not admissible in evidence.
71. Members and employees of authority to supply information to board.
72. Members, assistants and advisers of board to have access to or over
73. Offences in relation to inquiry of board.
74. Authority to meet expenses of, and provide facilities for, inquiry
conducted by board.
75. Declaration of provisional clearance area and publication and service
of clearance notice.
76. Contents of clearance notice.
77. Effect of clearance notice.
78. Duration of clearance notice and payment of compensation to persons
suffering loss as result thereof.
79. Impairment of land in provisional clearance area an offence.
80. Submission by board of report and summary of representations and procedure
for grant of clearance warrant.
81. Cancellation of general plan representing public places.
82. Dangerous buildings.
83. Duty of occupant to disclose information to authority.
84. Authority to have all necessary powers.
85. President may amend First and Second Schedules.
86. Absence of alternative accommodation.
87. Power to enter and inspect buildings.
88. Duties of authority in implementation of provisions of this Act.
FIRST SCHEDULE: Minimum Requirements in Relation to Unsatisfactory Standards.
SECOND SCHEDULE: Minimum Requirements in Relation to Overcrowding.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.