Back to Index
Biotechnology Authority Act (Act 3, 2006)
Published in Government Gazette: Friday 1st September,
2006 (General Notice 230 of 2006)
Commencement: Not yet in force. Date of commencement to be fixed
by Statutory Instrument in terms of section 1(2) of the Act
the original Bill
97 version (140KB)
PDF version (183KB)
If you do not have the free Acrobat reader
on your computer, download it from the Adobe website by clicking
Biotechnology Authority Act [Chapter 14:31]
1. Short title and date of commencement.
3. Application of Act.
NATIONAL BIOTECHNOLOGY AUTHORITY
4. Establishment of Authority.
5. Functions and powers of Authority.
6. Board of Authority.
7. Disqualifications for appointment as member.
8. Terms and conditions of office of members.
9. Vacation of office by appointed members.
10. Suspension of appointed members of Board.
11. Filling of vacancies on Board.
12. Meetings and procedure of Board.
13. Committees of Board.
14. Remuneration and allowances of members of Board and committees.
15. Disclosure of interests by members of Board and committees.
16. Minutes of proceedings of Board and committees.
17. Validity of decisions and acts of Board and committees.
18. Appointment and functions of Chief Executive Officer of Authority.
19. Execution of contracts and instruments by Authority.
20. Reports of Authority.
21. Minister may give Board directions on matters of policy.
CONTROL AND MONITORING OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
22. Power of Board to regulate biotechnology practices.
23. Register of facilities and permits.
24. Certain facilities and research to be registered or permitted.
25. Application for and grant or refusal of registration or permission.
26. General duty of care to be observed by users of products of
27. Notification of releases and accidents.
28. Returns to be furnished by registered users.
29. Interpretation in Part IV.
30. Biosafety Committees.
31. Project supervisors.
INSPECTORS OF AUTHORITY
32. Appointment and functions of inspectors.
FINANCIAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO AUTHORITY
34. Funds of Authority.
35. Investment of moneys not immediately required by Authority.
36. Financial year of Authority.
37. Accounts of Authority.
38. Audit of Authority’s accounts.
39. Powers of auditors.
40. Authority to make certain charges to revenue account.
41. Establishment and operation of general reserve.
42. Meeting of deficiencies.
43 Establishment and object of Fund.
44. Composition of Fund.
45. Administration of Fund.
46. Application of Fund.
47. Financial year of Fund.
48. Books of account and audit of Fund.
49. Imposition of levies.
50. Withdrawal, suspension or increase of levies.
51. Consultation and approval required for imposition, withdrawal,
suspension or increase of levies.
52. Failure to pay, collect or remit levies.
53. Recovery of unpaid levies
54. Minister’s powers in respect of levies in case of emergency.
55. Conflicts of interests.
57. Fees for registration or permission.
60. Repeal of regulations made under Part VA of Cap. 10:22
SCHEDULE: Powers of Authority.
establish the National Biotechnology Authority whose function shall
be to support and manage biotechnology research, development and
application; to provide for the constitution of a board of the Authority;
to provide for the establishment of the National Biotechnology Fund
for the development of the products of biotechnology; to provide
for the fixing of standards of quality and other matters relating
to products of biotechnology produced in Zimbabwe; and to provide
for matters connected with or incidental to the foregoing.
ENACTED by the President
and the Parliament of Zimbabwe.
title and date of commencement
(1) This Act
may be cited as the National Biotechnology Authority Act [Chapter
(2) This Act shall come into operation on a date to be fixed by
the President by statutory instrument.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.