Back to Index
Act (previously called the Children’s
Protection and Adoption Act)
amended at December 01, 2002. Original date of commencement: 27th
97 version (267KB)
PDF version (352KB)
If you do not have the free Acrobat reader
on your computer, download it from the Adobe website by clicking
Acts 22/1971, 39/1973 (ss. 43 and 52), 43/1973 (s. 4), 18/1974,
44/1974 (s. 4), 26/1979, 15/1981 (s. 66), 29/1981 (s. 59), 15/1982
(s. 3), 11/1986 (s. 29), 24/1987 (s. 8), 2/1989 (s. 7), 20/1994(s.
3), 14/1995; 9/1997 (s. 10)1,
22/2001 (s. 4), 23/2001; R.G.N. 327/1977; S.I. 689/1979.
CHILD WELFARE COUNCIL
2A. Establishment of Child Welfare Council.
2B. Functions of Council.
2C. Validity of decisions and acts of Council.
3. Establishment of children's courts.
4. Officers of children's courts.
5. Procedure in children's courts.
6. Certain provisions of Cap. 7:10 to apply to children's courts.
PREVENTION OF NEGLECT, ILL-TREATMENT AND EXPLOITATION OF CHILDREN
AND YOUNG PERSONS
7. Ill-treatment or neglect of children and young persons.
8. Corruption of children and young persons.
9. Medical examination and treatment of children and young persons.
10. Begging and public entertainment.
11. Safeguarding of child audiences at public entertainments.
12. Power to bind over person having custody of young girl, child
or young person to exercise proper care.
13. Conducing to commission of offence by child or young person.
REMOVAL OF CHILDREN
AND YOUNG PERSONS TO OTHER CARE
14. Removal of children and young persons to place of safety.
15. Court or magistrate may authorize removal of child or young
person to place of safety.
16. Authority to detain child or young person in place of safety.
17. Duty to bring child or young person before children's court.
18. Alleged child in need of care may be brought before children's
19. Children's court to hold inquiry in respect of child or young
person brought before it.
20. Powers of children's court.
21. Adjournment of inquiry.
22. Summoning of parent or guardian of child or young person.
23. Determination of certified institution or training institute
to which child or young person shall be sent.
24. Children's court may review orders.
25. Period of retention and further supervision of child or young
26. Person attaining age of eighteen years during inquiry in children's
27. Review by High Court of certain orders and discharge of certain
orders by various other orders..
PLACES OF SAFETY, REMAND HOMES, INSTITUTIONS AND TRAINING INSTITUTES
28. Places of safety and remand homes.
29. Minister may establish training institutes and institutions.
31. Registration of institutions.
32. Liability for maintenance of child or young person received
in terms of this Act.
33. Pupil of certified institution or training institute may be
released on licence.
34. Licence may be varied.
35. Reports on pupils.
36. Leave of absence from certified institution or training institute.
37. Discharge from effect of various orders made.
38. Transfer of pupil, child or young person.
39. Admission of children and young persons from foreign states
to certified institutions.
40. Reception in training institutes of juveniles from foreign states.
41. Transfer of certain persons to institutions outside Zimbabwe.
42. Absconding pupils and other persons.
43. Unlawful removal of juveniles.
44. Imprisonment of absconding pupils.
45. Inspection of children and young persons.
46. Probation officers.
47. Transfer of certain parental powers.
48. Unlawful removal of pupil, child or young person from Zimbabwe.
49. Making of contribution order.
50. Provisional contribution order.
51. Effect of direction to make payments and of contribution order.
52. Provisions of contribution order as to payments.
53. Variation or rescission of direction to make payments and of
54. Appeal against contribution order or direction.
55. Change of place of residence of respondent.
56. Service of process.
ADOPTION OF CHILDREN
57. Jurisdiction and procedure in relation to adoption order.
58. Power to make adoption order.
59. Restriction on making adoption order.
60. Consent to adoption given by minor mother of illegitimate child.
61. Matters with respect to which court to be satisfied.
62. Register of applicants for adoption.
63. Terms and conditions of order.
64. Effect of adoption order.
65. Power to make interim order.
66. Power to make subsequent order in respect of minor already subject
to an order.
67. Rescission of adoption order.
68. No consideration in connection with adoption permitted.
69. Concealment of identity of adopted child.
70. Adopted Children Register.
71. Change of name of adopted persons.
72. Effect of adoption on marriage.
73. Publication of advertisements of adoption.
74. Accessibility of records relating to adoption.
75B. Designated countries.
75C. Recognition of adoptions in designated countries.
75D. Recognition of adoptions in non-designated countries.
75E. Registration of birth of person adopted in foreign country.
75F. Effect of recognition of foreign adoption.
75G. Part does not limit recognition of foreign adoptions under
76. Consent to surgical or other treatment.
77. Evidence of husband or wife of accused person.
78. Sale of liquor, tobacco and drugs to children prohibited.
79. Seizure and confiscation of liquor, tobacco and drugs in possession
80. Provision as to gambling, gaming or automatic machines.
81. Magistrate may order parent to produce his child before children's
82. Estimation of age.
83. Liability of step-parent to maintain his step-child.
84. Detention of juvenile.
86. Financial support from public funds to certain institutions.
87. Notice of certain proceedings to be given to High Court.
FIRST SCHEDULE: Specified Offences.
SECOND SCHEDULE: …[Repealed]
Act to provide for the establishment of children's courts; to make
provision for the protection, welfare and supervision of children
and juveniles; to provide for the establishment, recognition and
registration of certain institutions and institutes for the reception
and custody of children and juveniles and for the treatment of children
and juveniles after their reception in such institutions and institutes;
to require the contribution by certain persons towards the maintenance
of children and juveniles; to provide for the adoption of minors;
and to provide for matters incidental to or connected with the foregoing.
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Children’s Act [Chapter 5:06]2.
TRANSITIONAL PROVISIONS AND SAVINGS SET OUT IN SECTION 11 OF MAGISTRATES
COURT AMENDMENT ACT, 1997 (NO. 9 OF 1997)
11. (1) In this section—
“changed appeal” means any appeal, application or reference
which, before the fixed date, could be made to the Supreme Court
and which, on and after that date, must be made instead to the High
“fixed date” means the date of commencement of this
Act (10th October 1997).
(2) Any rule of court or other statutory instrument which was made
or was deemed to have been made in terms of the Supreme Court Act
[Chapter 7:13] and which, immediately before the fixed date, regulated
changed appeals shall continue in force, mutatis mutandis, as if
it had been made in terms of the High Court Act [Chapter 7:06] for
the purpose of regulating such appeals, and may be amended or repealed
(3) Any statutory instrument which was made in terms of any enactment
other than the Supreme Court Act [Chapter 7:13] and which, immediately
before the fixed date, regulated changed appeals shall continue
to regulate such changed appeals as if any reference therein to
the Supreme Court were a reference to the High Court.
(4) Any changed appeal which was noted, filed or lodged before the
fixed date and which was not fi-nally determined by the Supreme
Court before that date shall be dealt with and determined in all
respects as if this Act had not been passed.
(5) Section 57 of the Magistrates Court Act [Chapter 7:10] shall
apply in relation to sentences imposed upon convicted persons before
the fixed date in all respects as if this Act had not been passed.
(6) Any request properly made before the fixed date for a case to
be forwarded on review in terms of proviso (ii) to subsection (1)
of section 57 of the Magistrates Court Act [Chapter 7:10] shall
be complied with in all respects as if this Act had not been passed.
(7) (This subsection is not reproduced here because it deals only
with appeals in terms of the Defence Act.)
(8) (This subsection is not reproduced here because it deals only
with appeals in terms of the Defence Act.)
2 Section amended by s. 2 of Act 23/2001.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.