Back to Index
Offences Act (Act 8/2001)
Repealed July 01,
2006 by the Criminal
Law [Codification and Reform] Act
This Act was gazetted
on 17th August, 2001 (General Notice 408/2001), becoming law with effect
from 17th August, 2001.
Download this legislation
Text File (RTF) version (87KB)
PDF version (35KB)
If you do not have the free Acrobat reader on your
computer, download it from the Adobe website by clicking
To amend the criminal law in regard to sexual offences; to make further
provision for the suppression of brothels and prostitution; to discourage
the spread of the human immuno-deficiency virus; to repeal the Criminal
Law Amendment Act [Chapter 9:05]; to amend section 51 of the Magistrates
Court Act [Chapter 7:10], sections 211 and 247 of the Criminal Procedure
and Evidence Act [Chapter 9:07] and section 2 of the Termination of Pregnancy
Act [Chapter 15:10]; and to provide for matters connected with or incidental
to the foregoing.
by the President and the Parliament of Zimbabwe.
1. Short title.
Extra-Marital Sexual Intercourse with Young Persons and Intellectually
3. Extra-marital sexual
intercourse or immoral or indecent act committed with young person.
4. Extra-marital sexual intercourse or immoral or indecent act committed
with intellectually handicapped person.
5. Prevention of sexual exploitation of young persons and intellectually
handicapped persons outside Zimbabwe.
6. Prevention of conspiracy or incitement abroad to exploit young persons
or intellectually handicapped persons in Zimbabwe.
7. Permitting young person to resort to place for purpose of extra-marital
8. Punishment of rape
or certain non-consensual acts.
9. Brothels and pimping.
10. Detention of persons for sexual purposes.
12. Coercing or inducing a person to have extra-marital intercourse.
13. Use of place as brothel renders lease void.
14. Summary ejectment when place is kept or used as brothel.
of Spread of HIV
15. Deliberate transmission
16. Sentence for certain offences where offender is infected with HIV.
17. Testing of sexual offenders for HIV infection.
18. Presumptions regarding HIV infection.
19. Jurisdiction of regional magistrates.
20. Act not to limit
offences under other laws.
21. Presumption regarding marriage.
22. Amendment of presumption that boy under 14 incapable of sexual intercourse.
23. Consent by young person no defence in certain circumstances.
24. Repeal of Cap. 9:05.
25. Amendment of section 51 of Cap. 7:10.
26. Amendment of sections 211 and 247 of Cap. 9:07.
27. Amendment of section 2 of Cap. 15:10.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.