Back to Index
won’t bury Gukurahundi victims: Govt
October 13, 2013
has no plans to give victims of Gukurahundi decent burials because
it runs the risk of including people who do not deserve the privilege,
Home Affairs deputy minister Ziyambi Ziyambi has said.
minister made the remarks during a question and answer session in
the Senate on Thursday after MDC-T senator Dorothy Khumalo asked
if the government would extend its programme to rebury remains of
people who died during the liberation war to victims of the Gukurahundi
are remains of people who fought in the war and they have not been
buried properly,” Khumalo said.
think if that is done, similarly there are remains of people who
died during the Gukurahundi which have not been buried properly.
I hope we are also going to think about them and bury them properly.”
said burying victims of the massacres, some who were thrown into
mine shafts in Matabeleland and the Midlands would be problematic.
we have is that we have a case whereby we are going to bury people
whose cause of death we are not aware of,” he said.
run into the problem whereby we even bury people who are not supposed
to be buried by the State.
is quite a difficult question because when we are following this
reburial programme, we have to follow the channels set up by the
government. We have to follow the criteria required for the people
to be reburied, people with a specific history.”
groups say up to 20 000 people were killed by the North Korea-trained
5th Brigade in Matabeleland and the Midlands soon after independence.
Mugabe refused to apologise for the mass killings saying dissidents
should also be held accountable.
described the genocide as a moment of madness.
blamed the poor state of provincial and district heroes’ acres
across the country on sanctions imposed by the West.
He was responding
to a question by former Matabeleland North governor Sithokozile
Mathuthu who asked what the government was doing about the poor
state of the shrines.
realised that the Lupane heroes’ acres and other heroes’
acres in that area have not been constructed, and accorded the proper
dignity that they deserve to have,” she said. “You find
that livestock move around even on the graves.”
The deputy minister
said the sanctions were to blame for the poor state of the shrines.
been in problems and we seem to be sneaking out of these problems,
but the problem we face is that we were living in the period of
sanctions,” Ziyambi said.
that if the sanctions are removed we will be able to get enough
money so that we could work on all the projects which we were set
out to do including care which should be given to the heroes acres
minister David Coltart last month warned that Zanu-PF would start
blaming everything that goes wrong in the country on the embargo
imposed on Mugabe and his inner circle.
the Western countries to lift the sanctions and deprive Zanu-PF
a scapegoat for failed policies.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.