THE NGO NETWORK ALLIANCE PROJECT - an online community for Zimbabwean activists  
 View archive by sector
 
 
    HOME THE PROJECT DIRECTORYJOINARCHIVESEARCH E:ACTIVISMBLOGSMSFREEDOM FONELINKS CONTACT US
 

 


Back to Index

Women in Parliament Support Unit (WiP-SU) - Baseline Survey
July 2001
Women’s participation in politics and decision-making has become one of the central advocacy issues of activists the world over. There are basically three reasons why women and men should participate, on an equal basis, in politics and decision-making. Humanity consists of females and males and, in the context of Zimbabwe, 52% of the population is made up of females while the other 48% is made up of males. Gender justice requires that, in all sites of power and decision-making, there be an equal representation of women and men. The requirement for women and men to take part in making decisions that affect their lives is not negotiable but mandatory.

The second reason why there should be an equal representation of women and men in decision-making is that no one sex should be responsible for making decisions for the other. Women need to represent themselves in making decisions that affect them. Men cannot and should not be expected to represent women’s interests.

Lastly, the greatest resource that any country has are its people. For as long as there is no equitable representation of women in politics and decision-making and other sites of power, then Zimbabwe is under-utilising the potential of its human resources and the country is not benefiting from the knowledge and perspectives that women bring.

A government by men for men is not a government for all the people. Women must participate both as leaders and as voters to ensure that decisions made at every level meet their practical and strategic needs globally, regionally and nationally.

Read the full survey
- Download the Rich Text File (RTF) version (385KB)
- Download the Acrobat PDF version
(262KB)
If you do not have the free Acrobat reader on your computer, download it from the Adobe website by clicking here.

Visit the WiP-SU fact sheet

Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.

TOP