Back to Index, Back to Special Index
This article participates on the following special index pages:
Zimbabwe's Elections 2013 - Index of Articles
still to announce special vote figures
Phillip Chidavaenzi and Wonai Masvingise, NewsDay
July 23, 2013
The Zimbabwe Electoral
Commission (Zec) is yet to announce the number of members of the
uniformed forces and civil servants who voted under special voting
Last week, Justice minister
Patrick Chinamasa claimed 29 000 people out of the 69 000 that had
been authorised to vote were able to cast their ballots. Chinamasa
is, however, not the authority mandated to make such official announcements.
Zec, which is the authority
legally mandated to disseminate any information regarding polls,
has remained curiously quiet.
Contacted for comment
yesterday, Zec spokesperson Shupikai Mashereni asked NewsDay to
officially recognise the figures announced by Chinamasa, but later
referred the newspaper to the electoral body’s chief elections
officer Lovemore Sekeramayi.
“I thought those
numbers were already public,” Mashereni said, referring to
“You think the
minister could have lied about those numbers? He is a minister.
Maybe you want to hear it from the horse’s mouth. Call the
CEO (chief elections officer), but he is currently busy dealing
with that (special votes) issue at the HICC (Harare International
Conference Centre),” he said.
Efforts to reach Sekeramayi
yesterday started distributing the special vote ballots from the
country’s 10 provinces to their respective wards under the
watchful eyes of the different political party agents. This followed
the opening of the special vote packages by Sekeramayi last Friday
under the provisions of the Electoral
the ballots would then be sent to the different provincial command
centres and then to the district centres before distribution to
the respective wards where they would be counted together with the
papers to be cast on July 31.
The special voting process
was marred by late delivery of ballots at most voting centres forcing
Zec to give the estimated 40 000 members of the uniformed forces
who failed to vote a second chance to cast their ballot with the
rest of the electorate on July 31.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.