|THE NGO NETWORK ALLIANCE PROJECT - an online community for Zimbabwean activists|
The National Budget Speech was presented by Finance Minister Tendai Biti in Parliament on Thursday November 15 2012.
Unless the Lord builds a house, The work of the builders is wasted. Unless the Lord protects a city, Guarding it with sentries will do no good. Psalms 127:1
1. Mr Speaker Sir, Section 103 (1) of the Constitution of Zimbabwe, read together with Section 28 (1)(a) of the Public Finance Management Act [Chapter 22:19], obliges the Minister responsible for Finance to prepare and lay before Parliament, on a day on which Parliament sits, before or not later than 30 days after the start of each financial year, Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure of Zimbabwe for that financial year.
2. In compliance with the mandatory provisions of our Law, I beg, Mr Speaker Sir, that leave be granted to bring in a Bill in connection with the Revenues and Expenditures of the Republic of Zimbabwe for January to December 2013.
3. Mr Speaker Sir, it is exactly 1 350 days since we commenced this experiment of a Coalition Government which regrettably right from the onset was born mired in the prophecy of failure, cynicism and collapse, particularly in certain powerful quarters, at home and abroad.
4. Against the odds, this construct has lasted, and indeed, it is a tribute to the People of Zimbabwe and their political leadership that, despite salubrious challenges we have faced, the Government of National Unity (GNU) has held out and we stand here to re-define through this Budget a new path and trajectory for our development in 2013.
5. As I present this fifth and last Budget of our Inclusive Government let me express my humble indebtedness and gratitude to the people of Zimbabwe, esteemed Honourable Members of Parliament, my colleagues in Government, as well as the Principals to the GNU for their patience, understanding, guidance, support and leadership offered to our programmes, and policies in the last four years.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.