THE NGO NETWORK ALLIANCE PROJECT - an online community for Zimbabwean activists  
 View archive by sector


Back to Index, Back to Special Index

This article participates on the following special index pages:

  • New Constitution-making process - Index of articles

  • Mbare resident dies after weekends assault as other residents sustain severe injuries
    Zimbabwe Election Support Network (ZESN), Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR), Zimbabwe Peace Project (ZPP) Independent Constitution Monitoring Project (ZZZICOMP)
    September 22, 2010

    Chrispen Mandizvidza, a Mbare resident aged 32, died today after he was assaulted by ZANU PF youths during last weekend's chaotic constitution-making process, which resulted in the aborting of outreach meetings aimed at soliciting people's views to the drafting of a proposed new constitution.

    Mandizvidza, who was employed as a security guard, died on Wednesday 22 September 2010 at around mid-day at a hospital in Harare, where he had been admitted after he was assaulted by some ZANU PF youths in Kawadza Street on Sunday 19 September 2010.

    His medical report indicated that he died as a result of complications from the ruptured bowel he sustained after being assaulted on the abdomen with blunt weapons. He underwent emergency surgery on the night of Monday 20 September 2010, but the injury was too severe, resulting in his passing on.

    Mandizvidza was one of 11 Mbare residents and Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) supporters who were assaulted by ZANU PF youths, supporters and some uniformed members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) on Sunday 19 September 2010 after attending a Constitutional Parliamentary Select Committee (COPAC) meeting at Mai Musodzi Hall in Mbare next to Mbare Musika bus terminus. The meeting was aborted after violence broke out.

    While Mandizvidza and his uncle Eric Kuranga, aged 23, were near their home assuming that the violent incidents had ended, they encountered another group of more than 50 ZANU PF youths led by one activist identified only as Jimmy, who lives at Carter House Guest House.

    Mandizvidza and Kuranga were targeted by the ZANU PF youths as they escorted some visitors along Kawadza Street in Mbare, who had visited them at their residence. The ZANU PF youths assaulted Mandizvidza with an unknown object twice on his abdomen before he fell down.

    He was only picked up while lying on the street by Kuranga, who had managed to slip away after being hit by an iron bar on the right leg and had later returned to check on Mandizvidza. At that time Mandizvidza was unable to walk as he complained of pain all over his body.

    Mandizvidza and Kuranga, who is currently nursing a knee injury from the assault, sought medical treatment on Monday 20 September 2010.

    Mandizvidza's medical report indicated that he suffered swelling/deformity and had evidence of severe soft tissue injuries. Doctors indicated that Kuranga also had evidence of soft tissue injuries, but these were less severe.

    Besides the two, nine other Mbare residents most of whom are self-employed (names provided) were also assaulted at Mai MusodzI Hall during the COPAC meeting held on Sunday 19 September 2010 and sustained head injuries and lacerations on their bodies.

    For further information and comments please contact ZZZICOMP

    Email: Hotlines: (0)916-404256-9 / (0)916-404292

    Visit the Zimbabwe Election Support Network fact sheet

    Visit the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights fact sheet

    Visit the Zimbabwe Peace Project fact sheet

    Please credit if you make use of material from this website. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.