Back to Index
opposition activists cleared of terror charges
June 08, 2007
HARARE (AFP) - Eleven
Zimbabwean opposition supporters who had been detained for two months
for an alleged "terrorism" plot have been released after
a court ordered the charges to be dropped, a party spokesman said
The 11, which included
seven party workers for the main opposition Movement for Democratic
Change (MDC), had been rounded up in raids in March when the police
claimed to have thwarted plans for a campaign of petrol-bombing.
Twenty others however who were arrested at the same time remain
in custody, including MDC lawmaker Paul Madzore.
"The ones freed
were charged in connection with the petrol bombings and the court
found nothing linking them to the petrol bombings and those who
remain in detention were charged with undergoing military training
in South Africa," party spokesman Nelson Chamisa told AFP.
"All these charges
are frivolous and a desperate attempt to implicate the MDC. What
is disturbing is that innocent people have been made to serve a
prison term by being detained all this time on false charges."
Madzore and the 30 others
were arrested days after security forces beat up MDC leader Morgan
Tsvangirai and scores of his supporters during a rally against the
regime of veteran President Robert Mugabe.
Please credit www.kubatana.net if you make use of material from this website.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License unless stated otherwise.